Do These 5 Things Sound Like What You’re Looking for
- An escape from the Melbourne CBD that’s not too far away
- A tranquil spot to hitch a tent or park a camper van or caravan
- Somewhere with public toilets
- A place where you can take your best friend i.e. your family pet dog
- Where you can cook on the camp BBQ/fire which is provided
After spending a night at the Meredith Park Camping ground at Lake Colac, Ondit we drove 50km along very scenic roads which were framed by gorgeous trees. Within 45 mins we arrived at our next home for the night at Stevensons Falls Campground Barramunga in the Otways.
We took a stroll around the beautiful camping ground and adjacent pine forest, it was then time to set up the campfire in readiness to cook dinner and whittle the evening away having a drink or two around the fire.
We spent our time relaxing around the camp fire and exploring the Stevenson Falls Otway before heading back home to Melbourne. Next time we will definitely stay longer than a night!!
About Stevensons Falls Otway
The Stevensons Falls are beautiful and the walk to the falls is just as gorgeous, the pathway leads you through all types of forests, from pine forests to tree ferns and massive gum trees. There’s a creek which runs alongside the pathway.
How Do I Get To Stevensons Falls?
There are two ways you can get to the Stevenson Falls. You can choose to walk from the camping ground or drive closer to the Stevenson Falls and walk from the car park.
If you choose to drive to the Stevenson Falls there’s a car park where you can have a picnic before taking a short easy 500m walk. The walk is gorgeous, you go past all sorts of pine trees as you head to the waterfall track. There’s lots of tree ferns & massive gum trees. The entire area is so beautiful and green. The Falls are worth the walk and when we were there a rainbow shone on the bottom of the Falls.
It’s a 4.6km walk from the camping ground to the Falls, unfortunately we were unable to do this as a tree had fallen across the path. So we drove to the Falls car park and then took the easy 20 minute return walk.
About Stevensons Falls Campground Barramunga
It’s a beautiful free camping area which has 50 campsites suitable for tents, camper vans or caravans. The camping spots are all different sizes and most are a generous size with some being extra spacious with room to accommodate a couple of vans or tents if you are camping with family or friends. There were some camping spots for tents only where you’d walk in.
The camping ground is situated near the small Gellibrand River and is well shaded with all types of trees. The other side of the river is a pine forest which is fun to explore if you like pine forests.
The camping ground is great for all ages, there’s make do swings in a couple of the camping spots for the kids. Ducks to watch as they waddle past or to admire as they sit on the bridge barrier & then there’s the walk to the Stevenson Falls which is absolutely beautiful.
Facilities at Stevensons Falls Campground Barramunga
- There are two long drop toilets which were clean
- Dogs are allowed but required to be on a leash
- BBQ fire pits provided at most camping spots, you just need to bring your own wood and check fire restrictions.
- We didn’t see water so make sure you take plenty to drink/cook and to extinguish your fires.
- You’re required to take your rubbish home
- There are no dump spots
How Long Would I Stay?
We only stayed a night as my family had to return to work. This is definitely a place to return to and take in the peace, serenity and fresh air.
I would recommend staying at least 2-3 days if you want to relax in a beautiful setting.
- There’s lots of sightseeing options nearby, including the Great Ocean Road which is approximately 25 mins drive away. Make sure you have a tank full of petrol if you want to explore the surrounding areas as the closest petrol station is 30 mins away.
- Take plenty of water for drinking, cooking and extinguishing campfires
- Remember to take firewood
Stevensons Falls Campground Location
- Roadknight Creek Road, Barramunga VIC 3249
- The Stevenson Falls Campground in Otway is approximately 171km, 2hrs and 10 mins from the Melbourne CBD