A great destination to explore within an easy 1.5hr drive from the Melbourne CBD is Mt Franklin, Hepburn Regional Park
About Mt Franklin, Hepburn Regional Park
The journey to Mt Franklin, Hepburn Regional Park from the Melbourne CBD is scenic. As you approach Mt Franklin the scenery is beautiful. So much farmland. Visiting this area in early March the countryside was extremely dry however the area still has so much beauty and a feel of serenity.
Mt Franklin, Hepburn Regional Park is a great spot to visit whether you are here for a day trip and going on the 45 minute Mt Franklin Circuit Walk and/or having a picnic with family/friends or like ourselves camping here for a couple of nights.
What Makes Mt.Franklin So Interesting?
What makes this beautiful spot more interesting is the fact it’s an extinct small volcanic crater surrounded by conifers and deciduous trees. The mountain was created by a volcanic eruption about 470,000 years ago which some say could’ve been witnessed by the Aborigines…so hard to imagine what this place would’ve been like so many years ago!! The saying goes that the road that leads to the camping area was formed from the lava flowing from the volcano.
Not only is it known for being a volcano crater but also the surrounding areas were once part of the Victorian Gold Rush in 1852. In 1870 Gold was found!!
What Can I Do at Mt. Franklin?
- Relax and take in the serenity
- Spend the evening telling stories around the open camp fire
- Visit nearby Daylesford
- Mt Franklin Circuit Walk
About Mt Franklin Circuit Walk
The Mt Franklin Circuit Walk is accessible from the Mount Franklin Reserve. The walk is 1.7km and takes approximately 45 mins. It’s quite a steep walk in some areas. In some parts you can grab a peak of the beautiful countryside. The walk takes you through the gorgeous pine forest and loops back through the Mount Franklin Reserve.
5 Facilities at Mt Franklin, Hepburn Regional Park
- Free camping ground
- Drop toilets provided
- Some camping spots have fire pits
- Untreated water tanks, however on our visit the tanks were empty
- Dogs allowed on leash
Nearby Attractions to Mt Franklin, Hepburn Regional Park
- Hepburn Springs
- The Daylesford Spa Country Railway
- Daylesford Sunday Market
- Daylesford Lake
- 1.7km, 45 min Mt Franklin Circuit Walk
- Jubilee Lake
- Wombat Hill Botanical Gardens
- If you are into artwork there’s a variety of places to checkout
- Numerous cafes to grab a refreshment or two
Why Should You Stay Here?
- You’re looking for free camping?
- A place where you can have a camp fire, fire restrictions permitting
- Camping ground with toilets
- Searching for a spacious camping ground surrounded by trees
- Close proximity to the tourist destination of Daylesford
- An escape approximately 1hr 30 mins from the Melbourne CBD
- Pet friendly place
- A place where you can walk in nature
- Visit the nearby Hepburn Springs
- It’s suitable for tents, caravans or camper vans
Mt Franklin, Hepburn Regional Park Location
- Mount Franklin, Victoria 3461
- Mt Franklin, Hepburn Regional Park is approximately 14mins, 14km from Daylesford
- Mt Franklin, Hepburn Regional Park is approximately 1hr 30min, 121km from the Melbourne CBD
- Ensure you take plenty of water for drinking, cooking and extinguishing camp fires
- Avoid camping here on long weekends as the camp site draws the crowds
- Go early to secure your spot if its a long weekend or beautiful weather.
- Take your own toilet paper, it’s provided however it can run out
- If you have a metal fire pit take it along so you can enjoy the comforts of a camp fire. There are a couple of fire pits provided, however you would need to be early to secure one
- Enjoy the great outdoors
Have you explored this beautiful area? Do you have any tips or suggestions where we should explore next time we visit this area? We would love to hear about your experiences here.