An easy 2hr drive from Melbourne CBD will find you at the scenic free camping ground – Meredith Park Camping Grounds, which is located along Lake Colac in Ondit.
5 Things To Look For When Free Camping
- An escape from the Melbourne CBD that’s not too far to travel
- A tranquil spot to hitch a tent or park a camper van or caravan
- Somewhere with public toilets and a place to wash your hands
- A place where you can take your best friend i.e. your family pet dog
- Where you can cook on the camp BBQ/fire which is provided
About Meredith Park Camping Ground
- There’s 30 campsites along the lake in a designated area
- Very clean flush toilets with a sink to wash your hands
- Rubbish bins provided
- BBQ fire places are provided, you just need to bring your fire wood
- Fires are permitted in designated areas only, provided fire restrictions are not in force
- There are no dump waste spots here
- Dogs are allowed on a leash
- Boat ramp
It’s a beautiful place to just relax reading a book whilst you have a fishing rod or two in the lake.
Trees are dotted along the camping area offering little shade and there is a boat ramp for those wanting to get out onto the lake, water levels permitting.
We left the bustling city of Melbourne on a Friday afternoon. It was an easy drive over the Westgate freeway following the signs to Colac and then the camping ground signs. Once you leave the freeway it’s a scenic drive surrounded by farmland, as you near the camping ground there’s distant views of the windmill farm.
The evening was spent relaxing in the camper van as it was too windy to stay outside. Due to the strong winds we were unable to have a camp fire but were able to witness a gorgeous sunset.
We awoke to a beautiful view of the lake, the wind had calmed down so we were able to cook on the camp BBQ/fire pit provided and eat breakfast whilst looking at the scenic surroundings.
There was enough time to stroll along the lake and throw the fishing lines in for a couple of hours before the wind returned.
Due to the 30km/hr strong winds returning we decided to move camp. We had planned to stay here 2 nights and we would’ve done if it wasn’t for the windy conditions. We were lucky we could get wifi reception so we could find our next destination.
We drove from the Meredith Park Camping ground 50km along very scenic roads which were framed by gorgeous tall trees. Within 45 mins we arrived at our next home for the night at Stevensons Falls Campground Barramunga in the Otways.
Meredith Park Camping Grounds Location
- The camping ground is approximately 158km from Melbourne CBD and without peak traffic take approximately 2hrs
- 175 Meredith Park Road, Ondit, VIC 3249 Australia
How Long Would I Stay?
If you are looking for a place to sit and relax you could spend at least 2-3 days here.
Check the weather conditions prior to going especially the wind strength.
Do you love free camping? Do you have any suggestions where we should explore or any feedback on Lake Ondit? We would love to hear any stories you’d like to share with us about your adventures.